Financial Assistance for Victims of the recent Flood and Storm Disasters

Share Post:

If you’ve been impacted by the recent floods and storms, you may be eligible for government assistance.


Housing support

If you’re homeless due to floods, the NSW Government is providing emergency accommodation in hotels and motels. Call 13 77 88 or go to the nearest evacuation centre to arrange your accommodation requirements.


Rental support

The Rental Support scheme will provide up to 16 weeks of financial rental support to flood victims in temporary accommodation. Total funding available will depend on the number of people per household including children.


To be notified when more information is available, please register your details or call 13 77 88.


Temporary housing support

If you’re staying with friends and family right now but will need accommodation in the coming weeks (and months), the Temporary Housing Support Package can assist with:

  • Temporary accommodation pods for rural land holders
  • Motorhomes for people who are currently living in evacuation centres, or in hotels/motels
  • Temporary accommodation in recreation clubs
  • Airbnb hosts offering low cost or free accommodation will be allocated to people who are being assisted by the Australian Red Cross.

To be notified when more information is available, please register your details or call 13 77 88.


If you’re currently in NSW Government emergency accommodation hotels and motels you’ll automatically be contacted about next housing options.


Financial support

Immediate financial help and payments are available to people living in disaster declared areas

  • Disaster Recovery Payment – $1,000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child if your home has been severely damaged or destroyed, or you’ve been seriously injured. Lismore, Richmond Valley and Clarence Valley LGAs receive an additional two disaster weekly payments.
  • Disaster Recovery Allowance – short-term income assistance (up to 13 weeks) if you’ve lost income as a direct result of the floods.
  • Disaster Relief Grant – provided to help people recover from the effects of a disaster and re-establish basic standard of living.
  • Stamp duty relief – on the replacement of privately owned, insured motor vehicles written off due to loss caused by a declared disaster.

Essentials and clean-up support


All flood-impacted households will receive clean-up assistance, including the removal of debris, mud and green waste. Skip bins and dump trucks will start to appear on streets. Where there are no skip bins or dump trucks available, separate waste on the kerbside until they arrive.


Cleaning up after a natural disaster can be dangerous – here’s some advice on how to clean up safely and deal with hazardous waste.


Food & essentials

If you visit an evacuation centre the Salvation Army and other emergency support workers will provide food and water.


Other essentials and personal care items such as blankets, clothing, and medication are also available. Ask us for help and let us know what you need at any of the evacuation centres, recovery centres or via Service NSW.


Recovery centres

Flood Recovery Centres are a one-stop shop for you to access recovery services for:

  • Replacing ID and personal documents such as birth and marriage certifications, Medicare card, vehicle and vessel registrations and licences, and citizenship documents. You may also be eligible for vehicle registration or licensing fee refunds and waivers.
  • Mental health and wellbeing services are available as natural disasters, cleaning up and recovery can take a toll on your mental and physical health. It is important to seek support and look after your own as well as loved ones’ wellbeing.
  • Legal assistance is offered by the Disaster Response Legal Service and Legal Aid. They can assist with everyday legal problems that can arise after a disaster.
  • Insurance advice and guidance on claims, policy coverage, and clean-up costs are all available by contacting the Insurance Council of Australia.

Landlords and tenants’ rights in a flood

If you live in or lease a rental property that has been affected by a flood or storm, tenants and landlords have certain rights and responsibilities relating to payment of rent, damage to belongings and urgent repairs.


Any tenancy related disputes following a natural disaster can be taken to the Tribunal.


Help with animals

You can get immediate assistance with animals by contacting WIRES, Wildlife Rescue Australia, RSPCA or NSW Department of Primary Industries.

Stay Connected

More Updates


The Australian Government’s Horticultural Netting Program trial is designed to assist horticulturalists to develop resilience and adapt to Australia’s changing climate. Through the program, horticulturalists

Verified by MonsterInsights